Friday, April 24, 2020

Day 47: “We’ve Lost It All.”



DAY 47
Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic
A series of daily reflections for people of faith
by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland
WEEK SEVEN: THURSDAY 30 APRIL 2020

“We’ve lost it all.”

“’I’m feeling scared,’ said Mr. Palma, who is 41 and nervous about the $15,000 in medical bills he has from two recent hospital stays. ‘I don’t know what’s the ending. But I know I’m not in good shape.’” - We Have Lost it All: Millions Reel from Sudden Unemployment newspaper article on 28 March 2020 

We stood at the window watching as the house across the street illuminated the darkness of night, consumed by flames that destroyed everything, valiant firemen’s efforts notwithstanding. I remember thinking to myself that in a way I would wish for the same experience as the young couple who lived there, because it would free me from attachment to all things material, a musing reinforced when, after the ashes had cooled, I watched as they  picked through burned ‘things’ looking for any memento of their previous life they could salvage.

For some the loss of everything happens with the loss of employment and income, as with Mr. Palma above. For others it’s like our neighbors who lost it all in a fire. For my ancestors all was lost when they were forced to abandon everything and walk the Trail of Tears from Georgia to Oklahoma, and Japanese-Americans on the west coast lost everything when forced to walk away from all they owned and move into ‘relocation camps’ during WW II.

Then along comes Jesus and He says to Simon Peter and Andrew, “’Come, follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ At once they left their nets and followed him.” This was voluntary ‘loss’ of means of income and occupation, of family, of village and of identity. Later in the Gospel narrative Peter says to Jesus, “We have left everything to follow you.” Matthew 19:27.

Paul the Apostle had his own ‘I’ve lost it all’ testimony: “I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things.” - Philippians 3:8.

Reflective question: Are you willing to let go of everything to follow Jesus? He won’t settle for less.

Reflective Scripture: Proverbs 23:26 – “My child, give me your heart,…”

Reflective hymn:
“Jesus Calls Us” – Cecil Alexander (1818-1895)
Jesus calls us from the worship of the vain world’s golden store,
from each idol that would keep us, saying “Christian, love me more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment