Friday, April 24, 2020

Day 46: Decluttering During a Pandemic



DAY 46
Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic
A series of daily reflections for people of faith
by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland
WEEK SEVEN: WEDNESDAY 29 APRIL 2020

Decluttering During a Pandemic

“I’ve cleaned out my garage, my storage shed, and now I’m working on my closets.”
“I’m in the process of cleaning out my basement. After giving a lot away I’m still going to need a U-Haul to get rid of what’s left.”
“I’ve cleaned out all my closets and bags are waiting to be picked up after this is over.”
- Comments from conversations I’ve had this week.

What do you do during a ‘stay-at-home-as-much-as-possible’ edict from the government? Yes, you can watch a lot of TV, but there is only so much available that has value until one is in danger of descending into mindless entertainment that dehydrates the mind and the soul.

Long before the current ‘decluttering fad’ of Marie Kondo fame, Jesus addressed the whole issue of storing up ‘things’: “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” Matthew 6:19-21.

Years ago I was asked to give the sermon at a funeral in a simple wood frame church on a dirt road in a small, rural African American community. Just before I stood to speak a man sang a solo. I have never forgotten the moving sound of his voice or the lyrics as he sang, a cappella –
        
There’s a dream that I dream of my heavenly home
I know that I’m going there one day, yes I am.
Maybe morning, noon, or night, I don’t know just how soon,
That’s why I’m sending up my timber every day.
Everyday! Everyday! Sending up my timber on up to glory
Sending up my timber everyday.

It was a sung, culturally adapted reiteration of the command – and it is just that, not a suggestion: “Store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, …” And, knowing our hearts as He does, He reinforced the imagery with this unavoidable confrontation with ourselves: “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.”  It’s a ‘sending up my timber’ sort of thing. 

Reflective question: Where do you need to declutter material things so you can focus on spiritual things?
    
Reflective Scripture: Ecclesiastes 3:6 – “There is a time to keep and a time to throw away…”

Reflective hymn: Go to YouTube and listen to “I’m Sending My Timber on Up”

No comments:

Post a Comment