Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Praying Scripture Over Someone


Greetings Brothers and Sisters in Christ at Pax Pres, and to all people,

I’ve been writing and posting weekly prayers. This week, instead of a written prayer, I want to suggest a way of praying that has been meaningful to me. If you’re already familiar with it, it might stretch your life in prayer, too.

A few years ago, I considered each member of my immediate family - my wife, myself, and my four children. Between just thumbing through the Bible and some online Bible searching, I sought out a Bible verse or two that seemed to “fit” each of my family members: their personalities, their particular needs in that season of life, etc.  I found 2-3 verses for each family member and wrote them in a little journal. Since then, I pray those verses over them by name at some point throughout my day. I’m not perfect at doing it everyday - but multiple times a week, I pray specific verses over my entire family.

For example, my daughter Nayla is very artistic. Exodus 31 describes Bezalel, a man appointed by God to design the ark of the covenant. Exodus 31:3-5 says:

“and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver, and bronze,
in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, to work in every craft.”

So I pray this:
“God, fill Nayla with your Spirit, with ability, intelligence, knowledge, craftsmanship, and artistic design to work in every material and craft as a witness to your glory.”

With other verses over each family member, I work my way through my whole family. You could do this for any significant people in your life. Sometimes we’re at a loss for words what to pray for someone; finding the words of Scripture itself can be a great guide.

Humbly in Christ,
Rev. Matt Pooley

No comments:

Post a Comment