Thursday, April 16, 2020

Day 40: “Follow me. I’m going to take you on a journey.”


DAY 40
Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic
A series of daily reflections for people of faith
by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland
WEEK SIX: THURSDAY 23 APRIL 2020
 “Follow me. I’m going to take you on a journey.”

“Jesus says, ‘Follow me, I’m going to take you on a journey, and I don’t want you to turn to the left or to the right. I want you to put me first; I want you to keep trusting me; to stick with me, to not turn back, not give up, turn to me in all the disappointments and injustices that will happen to you. I’m going to take you places that will make you say, ‘Why in the world are you taking me there?’ Even then, I want you to trust me.’” - Jesus the King: Understanding the Life and Death of the Son of God © 2011, Rev. Timothy Keller, Pastor, Redeemer Presbyterian Church (PCA) New York City

None of us when we signed up to follow Jesus expected the journey to include an extended trip through a terrain laced with an invisible enemy called a corona virus. But we should have known that to enlist under the command of Jesus was not going to mean a predictable future. 

Two of us headed into the forest on Kupreanof Island in Southeast Alaska to hunt. One gutted deer later we continued our journey home, trudging through deep snow. We even forded an icy cold river up to our waists, so convinced were we that we were almost home….except we weren’t - we were following ourselves farther into the forest, farther away from the Tlingit Indian village where we lived and taught school. When we were found the next morning, suffering from hypothermia, we were 8 miles from home. The Indian man who found us we followed without question:  he knew where he was going – we did not. It was that simple.

Jesus knows where He is going – we do not, and we can follow ourselves and live a life lost or follow Jesus and live a life found – it’s that simple. He put it this way in Matthew 16:25: “…whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it.”     
What sounds like an oxymoronic contradiction really makes perfect sense - if you trust Him.

Reflective question: During this pandemic, Jesus wants to take you on a journey? Will you follow Him?

Reflective scripture: Isaiah 6:8
“Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, ‘Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?’ And I said, ‘Here am I. Send me.’”

Reflective hymn: “I’ll Go Where You Want Me to Go” Mary Brown (19th century)
It may not be on the mountain’s height or over the stormy sea;
It may not be at the battle’s front my Lord will have need of me.
But if, by a still small voice He calls to paths that I do not know,
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine, “I’ll go where you want me to go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment