Thursday, August 20, 2020

DAY 164: You Are a Letter

 

DAY 164

Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic    
A series of daily reflections for people of faith
by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland
pastorrobert@paxpres.org
Week Twenty-four Tuesday 25 August 2020

You Are a Letter
“And you show that you are a letter from Christ delivered by us, written not with ink,
but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablet of stone, but on tablets of human hearts.”
- 2 Corinthians 3:3

What kind of letter am I, Lord?
Am I a letter that people delight to open, or one that they dread?
Do I bring joy, light and encouragement,
or do I bring gloom, worry and despair?
Do I bring a smile to peoples’ faces and leave their day a little bit brighter
or do I make them feel q little bit worse and their day a bit darker?
Do I look for Christ in each one I meet,
or do I look for things to judge negatively?
Do I praise Your Name or do I complain?
Do I bring hope or discouragement?
Put a guard on my tongue and on my face and on my heart, Lord.
Let me be an encourager, not a complainer.
Let me share hope, not worry or anxiety.
Let me not choose darkness, but be a light bearer,
bringing Your shining light everywhere I go
 and to everyone I meet.
Let me bring encouragement and joy rather
 than discouragement and despair.
Fill me anew with Your Holy Spirit.
Empower me, equip me, enable me to be used by You as a light bearer,
a joy bringer, a hope imparter…a reflection of Jesus. Amen.
- From a Christian magazine devoted to healing ministries in the church

Reflective question: Reflecting on 2 Corinthians 3:3 above, what kind of a letter are you during this unsettled and stressful time of a pandemic?

Reflective Scripture:  1 Corinthians 11:1– “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ.”

Reflective hymn:
“Make Me a Blessing” – Ira Wilson (1880-1950)
Out in the highways and byways of life, many are weary and sad.
Carry the sunshine where darkness is rife, making the sorrowing glad.
Make me a blessing, make me a blessing; out of my life, may Jesus shine.
Make me a blessing, O Savior, I pray. Make me a blessing to someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment