Thursday, August 6, 2020

DAY 148: Cannot Exist


DAY 148
Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic
A series of daily reflections for people of faith, by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland – pastorrobert@paxpres.org
Week Twenty-two Sunday 9 August 2020

Cannot Exist
Grant to us, Lord, we pray, the spirit to think and do always those things that are right, that we, who cannot exist without you, may by you be enabled to live according to your will; through Jesus Christ our Lord, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen. - The Book of Common Prayer, Prayer for the Sunday closest to 10 August  

If there’s one thing most human beings dislike, it’s being dependent on another like themselves. In subtle ways being acted out at this time in our culture, living under a “Declaration of Independence” means we are a people marked by a belief that no government has the right to tell us what to do. The Bill of Rights is just that, and we treasure it. “I have my rights” is a uniquely American perception of self. During this pandemic it has surfaced in a most unlikely place: the wearing of masks.

Yet we exist in the ultimate state of dependency – we cannot breathe unless the God who made and sustains everything holds it all together so creation functions as he has intended. The writers of the Psalms provide us with rich reminders of our dependence on the God who made us. Consider these declarations of faith and reliance on God:

Psalm 65:1
“My soul finds rest in God alone;
My salvation comes from him.
He alone is my rock and my salvation;…”

Psalm 16:8
“I keep my eyes always on the Lord.”

Psalm 16:1
“Keep me safe, my God, for in you I take refuge.”

Psalm 127:1
“When I said, ‘My foot is slipping,’ your unfailing love, Lord, supported me.”                 

Jesus expressed this place of ultimate dependency on Him in agricultural terms for his agrarian listeners: “’I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.’” Pray the prayer above again and reflect on each petition in the light of the vine/branches imagery of ultimate dependency.

Reflective question: At the end of the day, on what or on whom are you dependent?

Reflective Scripture: Job 12:10 – “In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.”

Reflective hymn:
“He’s Got the Whole World in His Hands” – African-American Spiritual
He’s got the whole world in hands, He’s got the whole world in His hands,
He’s got the whole world in His hands, He’s got the whole world in His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment