Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Sermon Notes: "Who is Like Our God?"



Trinity Sunday | “Who is Like Our God?”
Rev. Benjamin Garris, Associate Pastor   
June 7th, 2020
Trinity Sunday

1)      How would you describe the Trinity? If a non-Christian asked you to explain it would you be able to describe the Trinity accurately?
2)      Deut. 6:4, “Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one.”
Exodus 20:3 NLT, “You must not have any other god but me.”
“It (or There) is not to be to you (singular) other gods in my Presence."
3)      Modalism espouses that God is not 3 distinct persons but rather God shows himself in 3 distinct forms as perceived by the believer.
4)      Arianism comes from a Christian priest born in 250 AD by the name of Arius who believed that because there was a point in time when Jesus was born, both the Son and the Spirit were creations of the Father and not one with the Father himself.
5)      John 8:58, “before Abraham was born, I am!”
God said to Moses in Exodus 3, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you…this is my name forever.’”
6)      Revelation 19:10, “Then I fell down at his feet to worship him, but he said, “No, don’t worship me. I am a servant of God, just like you and your brothers and sisters who testify about their faith in Jesus. Worship only God. For the essence of prophecy is to give a clear witness for Jesus.”
7)      In Philippians 2:6, “being in very nature, God, [or literally in the form of God subsisting, existing, or to be] he did not consider equality with God as something to be exploited…”
8)      “begotten of the Father from all eternity, God from God, Light from Light, Very God from Very God, begotten not made being of one substance with the Father by whom all things were made.”
9)      Genesis 1:1-2 we read, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.”
10)  Monday Morning: How does a right understanding of the Trinity influence your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment