Thursday, June 25, 2020

DAY 111: A Sovereign Intersection


DAY 111
Faith in the Midst of a Pandemic
A series of daily reflections for people of faith
by Rev. Robert Bayley, Interim Pastor
Patuxent Presbyterian Church, California, Maryland
Week Sixteen – Friday 3 July 2020

A Sovereign Intersection
“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me;
I was found by those who did not seek me.” Isaiah 65:1

It was exactly 61 years ago today, Friday 3 July 1959, when I found myself at a sovereign intersection of the Creator’s doing. Let me back up and tell you how I arrived there.

It was in ninth grade confirmation class at St. James Presbyterian Church in the Los Angeles neighborhood of Tarzana, that our pastor, teaching from the catechism about the resurrection of Jesus, said, “It doesn’t really matter whether Jesus rose from the dead or not – it’s what he taught that’s important.” Something in the core of my being silently cried out, “This can’t be so!”

This triggered in me an intense spiritual search. While remaining active in our Presbyterian church, I explored and studied the cults – LDS, RLDS, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Christian Science, and eastern-based groups and occult groups numerous in number. In addition, an elderly aunt cultivated in me an interest in the occult. I was full of confusing and conflicting beliefs.

The summer I turned 17 my Grandmother, a strong Christian, invited me to her church. I sat and listened nightly – they called it a ‘camp meeting,’ until that Friday night 3 July 1959 when, after hearing a simple yet powerful salvation message, we stood and sang the invitation hymn, “Whiter Than Snow.”  I went forward and knelt, weeping, a huge load deep within lifted. That night four things happened that have marked my life and who I am to this day, 61 years later:

  1. Jesus Christ came into my life and has never left, bringing eternal life with Him;
  2. Every trace of all cult and occult beliefs were removed from deep within – it was an  instantaneous and permanent deprogramming performed by the Holy Spirit; 
  3. I received a clear call to preach and pastor that remains intact to this day;
  4. The Bible instantly became and remains a book with life in it every time I read it.

I didn’t know who I was seeking or asking for, but He revealed Himself to me that night.

Reflective question: Is there a sovereign intersection somewhere in your journey?  

Reflective Scripture: John 6:44 – “No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, …”

Reflective hymn:
“Whiter Than Snow” – James Nicholson (1825-1876)
Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want You forever to live in my soul.
Break down every idol; cast out every foe –
now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.
Whiter than snow, yes, whiter than snow;
now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment